In contrast to the classical forms, modern art emerged in the late nineteenth century in various artistic expressions such as painting, sculpture, literature, architecture, photography and music. Although there is no consensus on the dating of this period, many art experts consider that the movement goes to the 1970s.
The Impressionists, early modern painters, generally chose outdoor scenes as subjects for his works: landscapes, humble people, etc.
Core movements and artistic currents of modern art:
- Pop Art
Key Features of Modern Art:
Aiming to break the old patterns, modern artists constantly seek new forms of expression and, for this, use features like vivid colors, distorted figures, cubes and scenes without logic. The starting point of the Brazilian modernist movement was the realization of Modern Art Week 1922, where several artists and writers presented to the public a new form of expression. This event took place at the Theatro Municipal de São Paulo.
It was not easy for these artists to be accepted by the criticism that was already accustomed to well-defined aesthetic standards, but gradually their exposures were increasing and the public has come to accept and understand the modernist works.
The Modern Art is exposed in many places in Sao Paulo she can be seen in the Museum of Modern Art, the Biennial and in other forms of exhibitions that seek to encourage this form of expression.
- Kandinsky (Russian artist)
- Pablo Picasso (painter, sculptor and Spanish designer)
- Guillaume Apollinaire (French writer)
- Marinetti (Italian poet and writer)
- Joseph Conrad (British writer)
- James Joyce (Irish writer)
- Igor Stravinsky (composer and pianist Russian)
- Henri Matisse (French artist)
- Piet Mondrian (Dutch painter)
- Le Corbusier (Franco-Swiss architect)
- Jacek Malczewski (Polish painter)
- TS Eliot (English poet)
- William Faulkner (American writer)
- Hans Hofmann (German painter)
- Ernest Hemingway (American writer
- Thomas Mann (German writer)
- Fernando Pessoa (Portuguese writer and Poesta)
- André Masson (French artist)
- André Breton (French writer and poet)
- Arnold Schönberg (Austrian composer)
Modern Art Museums
Museum of Modern Art of New York (MOMA)
City: New York
Location: Southwark Street / Blackfriars Road
Museum of Modern Art
Location: Avenida Heliodoro Salgado
São Paulo Museum of Modern Art (MAM)
City: Sao Paulo
Location: Ibirapuera Park
Modern Art Museum of Royal Brussels
Location: Place Royale 1-2, 1000
Art Centre National Museum Reina Sofia
Location: Rua Santa Isabel, 52